Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Oak Trees at the Lake


This last weekend was our family's 4th annual weekend at a lake cabin near us.  We had a great time even though the lake was flooded 22 feet higher than usual.  This lake is so peaceful and beautiful, with post oak trees growing everywhere around it.  Scientists have tested some of the oak trees and some are 300 years old.  Miss E and I had fun collecting acorns to use in our fall décor.


I have been thinking about Isaiah 61 again lately.  It is one of my favorite chapters because it's full of hope for our suffering world.  In verse 3 it says that our righteousness will be like great oak trees, and I was thinking, why did it say we would be like oak trees and not like cottonwoods or elms or cedars?  I think it's because oak is so long lasting.  The righteousness God gives us through Jesus is just like that, steady, firm, and immovable.  What a blessing! 


To all who mourn in Israel,
he will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of mourning,
festive praise instead of despair.


In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks
that the LORD has planted for his own glory.


I am overwhelmed with joy in the LORD my God!
For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation
and draped me in a robe of righteousness.
Isaiah 61:3,10



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...